Sun, 27 July 2014
Danny would dream about one day owning and operating a successful commercial real estate investment firm. In 2008, Danny and his co-founder, Chris Newberry finally got started by founding Value Investment Group which specializes in distressed and value-add commercial real estate investments with its core focus being multi-family and retail shopping centers.
Danny shares with us the steps he took to get to where he is today in owning/operating 200+ units of multi-family real estate. Also, Danny walks us through one of his most recent value add multifamily acquisitions and speaks specifically to the step by step process of adding massive value (forced equity) to this asset. You're going to love Danny’s story.
In this interview with Danny you’re going to learn:
· How he uncovers hidden value in distressed and value-add projects
· The big lessons he learned after doing his first few deals
· Why learning how to raise money has helped his real estate business grow
· The critical lessons he has learned along the way in his real estate journey
· How his relationships with brokers has proven invaluable to finding great deals
· And much more…
Sun, 20 July 2014
Ep 29: Learn how this 36 year old investor built a portfolio of 4,500 units in just 7 years – with Carlos Vaz
Carlos has built his success from the ground up and is a true, rags to riches story that needs to be told. Carlos worked his way up the ranks and built skill by starting as a laborer for a construction firm and methodically working his way all the way to project manager before making a career jump into the mortgage industry which was the start of something really BIG!
Carlos worked in the mortgage industry only a short time before realizing that he could make way more money investing in real estate. So he began buying single family investment properties in the Boston area where he bought and sold over 34 houses in just 2 short years. He moved to Dallas in 2008 and started the Conti Organization with few contacts, limited funds and little multifamily experience, but has his mind set on doing big things in his business.
His first multi-family acquisition was a 208-unit apartment building which he bought in March of 2008 and over the past 7 years has gone onto grow his apartment investment company to almost 4,500 units and $100+ million, all accomplished by the age of 36.
In this interview with Carlos you’re going to learn:
· How he’s been able to realize so much success in such a short period of time
· How his upbringing played a major role in his strong work ethic
· Why networking with brokers & appraisers are critical to your success in the CRE industry
· The 4 things you always need to be doing to grow your RE business
· How to determine the correct target market
· The essential steps to raising money for your deal
· And much more
Mon, 14 July 2014
The most successful commercial real estate investors usually specialize in one asset class and don’t try to be a “jack of all asset types”. There are 5 primary asset types which include Office, Retail, Industrial, Multi-Family, and Land. Each of these different asset types have their fair share of pro’s and con’s which we’ll go into detail on with this show.
What you’ll come to quickly realize is that when you focus in on a specific asset type, you will become an expert in how this type of property is owned and operated. Being an expert in one particular property type is much better than being mediocre in many. You’ll see that you find your most successes when you deal within one specific property type and stay laser focused. Each one has its own pro’s and con’s which is what we’ll be covering in today’s show.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
· Which asset type best fits your investment style
· Which property types can provide 25 year leases - WOW!
· How to determine the primary drivers for filling your specific property type
· The different risks and rewards of owning the 5 different property types
· Why multi-family is usually the best transition when moving from SFR investments
· And much more…